.

Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Cooking in Bulk-A flop.


I went shopping on Saturday and actually purchased all the items on our grocery list to make the menu items from my previous post. So far, we're doing really well.  We followed the menu plan for two days already!  Ok, it's not really that exciting since the first day was "date night".  However, I did make the items listed on the menu for Sunday and so far it's been a success.  I'm determined to stick with this and already am contemplating next weeks menu.  I'm also really excited about not having to do much cooking tonight and plan to start getting on the treadmill again with this new found free time.

I got a little overzealous with this whole saving money concept and decided to make twelve sausage egg and cheese mcmuffins after I got home from the Saturday shopping trip.  I saw this post about making egg and cheese breakfast sandwiches that you freeze and figured I'd give it a shot.  (So I did get a few extra items at the grocery store, but I had good intentions for them.)  I thought it sounded brilliant and Ed and I are horrible at eating breakfast so I'm hoping this will change that.  So, around 8:30 on Saturday night, I really started getting wild and crazy and put together twelve sausage egg and cheese mcmuffins.  I precooked the eggs and sausage and toasted the english muffins.  I then assembled all of this with the cheese slices and let them dry out/cool in the fridge (we didn't have room in the freezer-watch for a post on why, coming soon).  This was the finished product-
better than mc d's?
I let my masterpieces sit in the fridge for about an hour.  I then wrapped them individually in freezer paper and some new double seal ziploc freezer bags I picked up on my shopping trip. 

Sunday morning was the first test.  I woke up early enough to turn on the oven and pop two of these suckers in there on some pieces of tin foil.  I let them bake for 25 min at 350 degrees (as I had read on the blog).  Success!  I made breakfast and we'll be at church on time.  We head to church and I hand my husband one of my greatest creations.  Ok, to be honest, I already knew it wasn't one of my greatest creations.  The cheese got a little hard on the outside so I was a bit worried.  He bit into it and some liquid poured out (i'm guessing this was from the egg).  I tried mine and it was ok, but the egg was a bit cool and the english muffin was very crunchy.  FAIL.

This morning I decided I'd give the muffins another try.  This time, I'd go against the original blogs advice and microwave it.  This worked out better for the cheese, sausage, and muffin, but the egg was still cold.  Basically, it was still frozen.  I threw the egg out and ate the rest. I think next time I'll try heating the egg seperately.  However, my first attempt at cooking in bulk was not all that I thought it'd be cracked up to be.

1 comment:

  1. You're AWESOME! Keep up the bulk cooking/baking... I'm hoping your hard work will inspire me. :) And you know the story about J's reaction to one of our first dinners, right? Put succinctly, it was a FAIL. And we still, luckily, laugh about it.

    ReplyDelete